You hear how you should do this and you should do that. Heck, as a business coach, even I tell you what to do! (And one note about that… I always follow any suggestion or recommendation with “You have to do what works for you.”)
Models, formulas, strategies, tools, worksheets, and the like are fabulous for helping you navigate the waters of business, but they’re not meant to be so sacred that you can’t deviate from them and follow your heart’s wisdom.
If you’re making decisions in your business that are based from your heart and passion for what you want in your business, then you are on your way to creating a business you love.
But if you’re making decisions – or not taking action – out of fear or lack, then your business will probably not end up being one you love.
How do you know if you’re making a decision from the heart or from fear? When you delve into “Why do I want or not want to do this?” – pay attention to the answer. Get a piece of paper, and write the possible decision that’s on the table. Draw a line down the middle. On the left, write all the reasons why you should make that decision. On the right, write all the reasons you should not make the decision.
Then, look at your answers. If they sound like any of the following, then your decision is probably based on fear.
- People won’t like it.
- I’m afraid people will say no.
- I’m afraid to stand up in front of a room.
- What if they don’t like me?
- What if I’m being too pushy?
- I need the money, so I should do this.
- It’s too risky.
- I don’t have time to do it.
- People have told me I should do this.
Those are all fear-based reasons. And they should never captain your ship.
If your answers sound like the ones below, then your decision is probably coming from your heart and deeper wisdom.
- I have a sneaky suspicion that this action will drain my energy. (Note: sometimes our inner wisdom is giving us clues to not take an action.)
- This will move my business forward.
- This will help me get my message out there in a bigger way.
- This is a place where I can use my gifts and genius.
- I get excited when I think about it!
- I’ve always wanted to do something like this.
- It makes my heart sing.
- It’s beautiful.
The more decisions you make from your heart and deeper wisdom, the happier you’ll be, the fewer regrets you’ll have, and the more successful your business will be.
From what place are you making decisions?